Over the last few months since I got home from School of Worship, I have been a part of a group at church called FORM. "What is FORM?" Well, I am not sure of the best way to explain it. Basically, we meet on Thursday mornings and it is a practical look at and example of discipleship. We talk about a broad range of topics having to do with life. But we also go deeper than just talking about things. We have accountability to actually work toward changes. Having a mixed group of people to look at practical options is a unique opportunity for people my age. I am glad to be able to take advantage of it.
One of the recent assignments we had involved reading a book and writing a reflection. An easy enough thing to complete- until you start reading the book and it is one of the most challenging things you have read as a young adult. The assigned book, The Defining Decade, was written by Dr. Meg Jay, a clinical psychologist who seems passionate about helping twenty-somethings achieve their full potential before they turn around in their thirties and forties feeling as though they have wasted their lives. If you ask almost anyone I have come in contact with over the course of reading the book, I have probably recommended they read it (and I recommend you do, too!). Although Dr. Jay says clearly in the preface that she is writing for twenty-somethings, there are so many clues into the mind of that frustrating young adult you have to interact with.
As a twenty-something, this book felt like a taste of a therapy session. Dr. Jay's anecdotes weren't about me, but they hit home on a few occasions. From worrying I am never going to get out from where I am now and having no clear goal for where I want to make it one day to relationship "issues" and even fertility statistics and realistically how long you can wait to have kids.
Basically, this has turned into a book review- but I really would suggest everyone read this book. It encourages a -very needed- personal evaluation. Taking time to think about where you are, where you want to be, and realistically, how can you get there?
Through reading this book (as well as a lot of other factors), I have been challenged to think more about my life and give more thought to who I want to be- not just what I want to do in the near future. Thinking more futuristically gives more opportunity to actually make those dreams come true.
Since I know a lot of people won't go out and read this book, here is a link to Dr. Jay's TED Talk, which touches on many of the topics from the book. Seriously, take a few minutes and watch it!
As always, thank you for reading! :) Also, I have some super exciting things to tell y'all about so I will get those words entered into my computer and they will reach you!
If you have any prayer requests, let me know how I can be praying for you.
God bless and love from me,
Erin
No comments:
Post a Comment