One week from right now, I will be in Washington DC with my parents and two of my sisters! When I found out my training for this summer is in Pittsburgh, the planning commenced. My mom grew up in upstate New York so since I would be so close, it just seemed like a given to see where she grew up (a wish my parents have had for a long time). With going to New York State, there was also the hope of visiting the city because that has also been a dream for a long time.
A little later, my dad joined in the planning and we figured he would join us. Then came Jennifer, then Annie coming along. We also added some places to see. Naiagra Falls? Washington DC? Why not drive up to Maine, since we'll be over there? Well, now we have those added in and in 3 weeks, I will have basically doubled the number of states I've been to!
Yet even with all the planning going into a trip including driving through 8 or more states, I still only knew where my training for the summer was. I had not been told where I would be spending my summer working. That is until yesterday when I found out I get to spend my summer working in Detroit, Michigan!
To be completely honest, I was not as excited at first as I though I would be. I had built up a huge hope in my mind to be somewhere closer to the ocean, in a different kind of city, and I really hoped I would be in New York City. As I thought about Detroit, though, and read through some of the information YouthWorks provided and googled more about the city, I found a huge excitement swelling in me.
In 3 weeks, I get to spend two months working in a city which is constantly covered in negative press. I get to spend two months in a city (in my own country) in which I am a minority. I get to spend two months outside of my element getting to hear stories which haven't been heard. I get to spend two months learning about people I would normally not encounter.
I am so so beyond excited! It is going to be a challenging, beautiful, growing experience and I am already so greatful that, once again, my God has plans outside what I expect and I am looking forward to what He wants to do in and through my team and I this summer!
If you would be praying for my team and I as we are preparing to both meet each other and prayers for the students as all of us get ready to learn and grow together. Please pray for the city of Detroit; that they would be ready to see the Lord move and that peace would cover the city, let them be covered in an anticipation to have their lives turned inside out by their Creator who loves them deeply. Pray that we would see the Kingdom break through as we go forth, partnering with what He is already doing in the city of Detroit!
Thank you all!
Love,
Erin
That's so exciting Erin! Glad to see your passion. Will your whole family be visiting Syracuse then? It’d be great to see everyone. Sounds like a really fun adventure for you all.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteFor Syracuse it will be Mom, Dad, Jen, and I. Annie has to fly back early for work and Becky is staying back because of school and her musical (which conveniently falls over both weekends we are gone). Really looking forward to seeing you!