Hey there,
Welcome to parenthood. Or maybe you're the one welcoming someone else. Can I even welcome you to something I haven't experienced? If not, just substitute congratulations. Congratulations on your parenthood!
This is a weird thing for me to talk to you about, isn't it? The closest I've come to parenthood is how much I love my cat. Which I'm sure is so different from loving a child. One day I may be where you are now. But maybe not. I certainly can't tell the future!
I wanted to take this chance to say I see you. Again, having not been there myself, there is no way to really empathize. But I can and I will sympathize. You are doing a lot. Waking your kids up in the morning. Making sure they have food. Cleaning up after them. Catching them when they fall. Helping to heal places where they fell anyway. You are doing so so much and I see you.
And so does He.
The One whose Fatherhood was established before your parenthood was. The One who has seen his children hurt. The one who has provided through miracles and comforted in the darkest places. The One who woke you up in the morning and provides you food. The One who sees you in your cleaning and catches you when you fall. The One who is healing the places where wounds happened even though He had a perfect plan. He sees you.
You may have been a parent for a long time. Maybe your child was born yesterday. Maybe your child was lost before you got to swaddle their tiny body. Maybe you buried your adult child even though nobody should ever have to go through that. You are seen.
Not just the you of parenthood. Not just the mom who is running kids around. Not just the dad who is taking out the trash.
The you from before your life became focused on little humans is seen. The you who used to sing in the school choir or paint in your free time. The you who dominated in football and cheered on your classmates in the bleachers. YOU are seen. YOU are known. YOU are still important.
Just like you want to hold your child, He wants to hold you. Just like you want to help your child realize who they are, He wants you to see who you are beyond the chaos.
This is a note to the parents. A reminder to the moms and a memo to the dads. You are you. You are seen. You have identity beyond the dirty diapers and the dishes. You are known intimately. And you are desired. You are loved with a love deeper than you can express. And through every disappointment and every time you've messed up, you are still loved.
So here is your reminder, in case you missed it: YOU ARE LOVED. YOU ARE SEEN. YOU ARE YOU. Beyond just the tasks of parenthood, take a minute (wherever you can) and remember whose you are. Remember your forgotten dreams you cherished before you became a chauffeur, chef, teacher, police officer, laundromat attendant, ATM, cuddler, maid, and professional all at once. Find a moment for you because that may be the best thing you can do for them. Reconnect with whose you are, then you can remind them whose they are.
This is a note to the parents, the unsung heroes, the necessary persons. You are seen. You are loved. You are appreciated. Walk in that.
God bless and love from me,
Erin

No comments:
Post a Comment